Diets that encourage and promise rapid weight loss often lead to weight being regained just as quickly. Australian women spend over $400 million per year in a fruitless quest to be slim, with 95% of people who go on weight loss diets regaining everything they have lost plus more within two years.
- Meet individual nutritional and health needs
- Fit with individual lifestylesInclude a wide variety of foods from all food groups
- Promote physical activity
- Focus on realistic life-long changes to eating and exercise habits.
The Dietitians Association does not recommend weight loss diets that:
- Cut out entire food groups or specific nutritious foods
- Promote and promise rapid weight loss without the supervision of a dietitian and doctor
- Focus on short-term changes to eating and exercise habits
- Recommend unusual foods or eating patterns
- Encourage miracle pills and potions.
There is no one magic or ‘ideal’ weight loss diet. It is possible to lose weight while meeting individual nutrition and lifestyle needs through a variety of approaches.
To lose weight and keep it off see an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) like Nastaran. Nastaran can help you get off the dieting merry go round by developing a lifestyle plan that’s right for you and can be followed for life.